Friday, March 18, 2011

Another Card for The Play Date Cafe


I am so excited to finally enter The Play Date Cafe's Challenges. I've been admiring their site for a while now, but I just haven't had the time to enter, but today I am entering a second card! I am really excited to share this card with you because I learned a FABULOUS new technique! I watched an INCREDIBLE video from Kelly Rasmussen at Hero Arts about how to make a Doily Masked Background. It's only 4 minutes, and it will ROCK YOUR WORLD! It creates an amazing single layer background! If you want to see another example of this technique, check out the insanely talented Ayana Posadas' blog. A few months ago, she posted stunning cards using this technique. Here's my first attempt at this fun technique:

I actually have a confession to make with this card. I made a boo-boo. I tried stamping some flowers inside the white space created by doily masking, but I chose the wrong stamp and put it in the wrong spot, and it was just a mess. However, I didn't want to give up on the card because I spent the time and effort creating the background. So, what was originally meant to be a single layer card, ended up with the 2 lavendar scallop circles. It wasn't my original plan, but I'm actually really pleased with the end result. Don't you love it when you make a mistake but turn it around to be an unexpected delight? This is so different from all other cards I've made, and I ALWAYS love trying new techniques!


Happy Crafting!

Amy


Supplies:




Paper: White cardstock


Ink: Tangelo, Canteloupe & Grape Jelly (Memento)


Other: Stickles, Copic markers

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Amy! I tried this and didn't like the way mines turned out. Something to try again.

NanaConnie said...

Love happy mistakes which then lead us to fabulous creations! Delightful card and I'm going to try this technique today! TFS

Michele Gross said...

Happy accidents :) Very pretty, love the doily background! Gonna have to check out that tutorial! :) Thanks for joining us again at The Play Date Cafe!

Fiona said...

Hi Amy - so glad you have been inspired to play along at the Play Date Cafe this week - not once, but twice! Great background technique :) Hope to see you again soon!

Jaclyn Miller said...

I think that's what separates a good stamper from a great stamper - being able to take a card with a mistake and turn it into a beauty! I love that masked background, it is gorgeous. Glad you found time to play along again!

Jinny Newlin said...

You've made this technique shine, Amy! Absolutely gorgeous, and such perfect, little details! Thanks so much for playing along with us, this week, in The Cafe!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! What a fabulous new technique--totally heading over there after leaving comments! What a beautiful card--love how your sentiment is all over!! It is super gorgeous--great background colors....just beautiful all around:) Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the PDCC!!!

Ayana Posadas said...

Wow, Amy! I love your gorgeous card. The colors look great and you did such a fabulous job with the doily masking and layered stamping.
I really love how you stamped the sentiment multiple times in the background, over the polka-dots.
Absolutely beautiful!
Thank you so much for mentioning me too. You are always so very sweet! :)